Friday, March 12, 2010

The Emergence of the Daytime Dad

Of course there has always been stay at home Dad's and I have seen them out and about before, but all of a sudden there are more and more of them. Is it the economic climate or are guys just feeling more comfortable in taking on the role of the primary carer?

This week my Daytime Daddyometer was running hot!

Tuesday - At least 10 Dad's with kids at swimming lessons if not more

Wednesday - doing my weekly shops at every shop I saw 2 or 3 Dad's with a trolley load of kids and groceries

Thursday - driving home from the shops I saw 8 Dad's pushing prams in the 10 minute drive home!

And they kept on popping up everywhere! These were not Dad's in suits or in their work gear at lunch, these were obviously stay at home Daytime Daddy's or maybe Dad's on their day off.

It's actually happening right inside my own little house too.
My Hubby was retrenched on his first day back from paternity leave after the birth of Baby 0.6, great timing huh?! 
Anyway he is now working from home trying to kick start his own business. It is tough financially, but on the other hand it is brilliant having him home as a help some times. More than that it is excellent for him to spend the extra time with both kids, not to mention get a glimpse into the ever "thrilling" day to day life of a stay at home Mum.

So I'm glad to see these extra Dad's and hope it means they are getting the quality time with their kids. Hopefully they're not struggling too much if it's a result of being retrenched or something else just as tough. It might be time to start a Dad's group in our area I think.

Are you seeing these Daytime Dad's popping up more and more in your area? Or is your husband being a Daytime Dad? Tell us your story? Does it work for you?

1 comment:

  1. I feel sorry for the Dad's who don't get to see their kids until the weekend. It just means you have to make every second with them count. I think as workforce continues to change and younger generations will demand more work/life balance that employers will see that a more balanced employee is a more productive employee. And we all get more quality family time - I hope!

    ReplyDelete

I