Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ironing out the creases

So this morning at 9am I was ironing. I DON'T IRON.

I actually go out of my way to buy clothes that don't require ironing, but this morning, mother guilt and peer pressure got the best of me.

I had washed Toddler 2.9's sheets for kindy and after sharing the clothes dryer with too many items, they were more than crinkled. Now at home I would think "Hey! they'll flatten out after we sleep on them for a few days!".

But this morning the little voice creeped into my head. "What will the other Mum's and teachers think if I send my son to kindy with wrinkled sheets? They'll think I'm a terrible mother!!" The truth is no-one would even really see the sheets and they would have plenty of their own little voices running around in their head and toddlers pulling on their skirts to even notice.

What do we do to ourselves?! Talk about self inflicted suffering. Does this happen to us after childbirth? Is it really Syntocin they put in that drip or is it mothers guilt?

Even as I was standing there ironing I knew I was being ridiculous but I still did it. Will I be able to stop myself next time or will my little voice shout out again?

What totally unnecessary things have you done in the past to stave off the Mothers Guilt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I