Friday, March 19, 2010

Pesty pests!

Living in Sydney I've accepted that there will be cockroaches, and larger than large ones at that, but the pest level in our house has just hit crazy status I think!

First there was a cockroach when we had our mothers group here. God knows what the other mum's thought! Anyway I tried to catch it quietly but it disappeared under the TV unit so I thought it was gone for now and I could wrangle hubby into catching it later. Obviously the cockroach had different ideas!! To cut a long story short, it ended up with 3 of my Mum friends chasing this nasty beast all around the lounge room as it jumped in nappy bags, crawled under children and flew at the toy box. Thank God someone finally got it. I was devastatingly embarrassed but also amazed at the worlds fastest cockroach!

As if that was bad enough......

That same night, after all the kids were asleep and I just sat on the lounge ready to veg out in front of bad TV, I hear, scratch, scratch, scratch from above my head. I must admit I'd heard this noise before and assumed it was a possum or the neighbours cat on our roof. For some reason tonight though I actually look up, where we have stained glass panels that are like skylights. There with it's long whiskers and beady little eyes...... A RAT!! Staring down at me like "Hey lady, what the hell are you doing in my place!"

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Dirty, dirty RAT!

'What a lot of fuss, fancy being afraid of an 'itsy-bitsy' little mouse like this!' by Waters, GrahamI did my best to convince my husband to get up there with a shovel and WHACK it with a shovel but he wasn't quite up to the challenge apparently. Of course there's not actually enough room to swing a shovel, but I was desperate.


I'm very pleased to report though that in the days since, hubby has put Ratsak in the roof and the scratching has ended. However, after the scratching came the smell. The smell I could live with though because when we lifted up the skylight there was my little housemate, Rodney the Rat, dead as doornail, VICTORY!! Now the smell AND the rat are gone and it's back to just me and the cockies.

Aah the serenity.........

1 comment:

  1. With all the cats around, these rats are pretty clever.
    Rat Sak is okay as long as you can get to the dead body. Cause a dead smelly rat is probably worse than a live semi-smelly one.

    Onto the roaches!

    Hubby 4.10

    ReplyDelete

I